Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), a hormone imbalance that causes infertility, obesity, and excessive facial hair in women, can also lead to severe mental health issues including anxiety, depression, and eating disorders.
Dietary guidelines to treat PCOS:
· Weight loss of 5%-10% if overweight or obese in 3 months
· Balanced carbohydrate intake.
· Chose high fibre carbohydrate food or complex carbohydrates
· Emphasize on lean protein foods
· Consume 25-30% of calories from fats –unsaturated fatty acids & omega 3 fatty acids
· Include2-3 servings of low fat dairy foods per day
· Limit trans fatty acids
· A mukti vitamin supplement is recommended with B12, specially for strict vegeteranians
· Do not skip meals
· Control portions
· Limit salt intake
· Limit sugar intake
· Add a wide variety of fruits and vegetables
· Smaller and more frequent meals to control blood glucose level
· Daily physical activity
These are very generalized guidelines. For treating PCOS and or PCOD amongst teenagers kindly contact my e-clinic http://360degreenutricare.zest.md/ for better results. Enter into a whole new world of Health & Nutrition. Stay fit and Stay Nutritious.
~ Dt. Deepalekha Banerjee