While maintaining a healthy lifestyle which includes weight loss and even maintaining ideal body weight, EATING OUT seems to a be a BIG problem.
But the fact is it is NOT.
If one knows the trick to pick and choose what is right for them, eating out is as entertaining and relaxing as to others.
Tips to pick and choose :
- Before going out for the grand treat have some healthy snack at home.
- Drink a glass of lemon water while brushing through the menu properly
- Skip the hard drinks and sugary drinks
- To start with Soup without cream and fresh salad with dressing on the side. Use the dressing only as much as required.
- Choose the best quality protein – egg white, lean meat, fish, Soya chunks, low fat paneer
- Do not be afraid to ask for the recipe if you cannot understand
- Order grilled, smoked, tandoori items in appetizers basically protein next to soups and salads
- Make healthy swaps like opt for whole grain bread or brown rice instead of white bread or normal rice; avoid cheese puffs, potatoes and deep fried items. Choose stir fried vegetables instead. Instead of creamy cheesy pastas choose wheat pastas with tomato sauce base.
- Don’t miss on dessert. Intead of ice cream or chocolate soufflés choose a small fruit custard or fruit sorbet .
- Add little or no additional salt.
- Look for entrees which say baked, steamed, grilled, broiled, poached or raw
- Enjoy the meal slowly while engaging in a gossip
- Make smart choices at your favourite food joints
- Coffe bar – a regular coffee instead of latte
- Mexican – choose Fajitas made with grilled meat and vegetables or enchiladas filled with chicken or any lean meat and vegetables instead of dishes smothered with cheese, fried chimichangas, refried beans, large bowls of tortilla chips (a few with salsa is fine), pitchers of margaritas
- Japanese – Choose Sushi made with shrimp, tuna, tofu, or vegetables, sashimi, miso soup, teppanyaki dishes (meat, fish, or vegetables cooked on an iron griddle) instead of Tempura, large platters of sushi rolls (each can be 250 calories or more, and you can easily eat two or three), teriyaki (the sauce can contain a lot of sugar)
- Chinese – choose Stir-fried shrimp, chicken and vegetables, steamed brown rice instead of dishes with thick sweet-and-sour sauces like Kung Pao chicken, large bowls of rice, fried egg rolls, lo mein, breaded or deep-fried foods such as orange beef
- Indian – Choose Tandoori chicken or other foods cooked in a tandoor oven; look for "tikka" or "bhuna" dishes, which aren't covered with heavy sauces. Avoid ordering dishes that come with creamy sauces, naan (Indian breads that are often stuffed with potatoes or coconut and topped with butter), deep-fried samosas
- Italian – Choose Vegetable or seafood antipasto, minestrone soup, fish or chicken dishes served with vegetables, grilled meats. Donot order deep-fried and breaded foods such as veal or eggplant parmesan, creamy sauces such as fettuccine Alfredo, dishes stuffed with cheese such as manicotti and calzones
Enjoy socializing and outside meals. Dieting is not all about restricting and boring. Its just a healthy lifestyle.